Sunday, March 21, 2010

And so it begins........

Back when I was in highschool I joined the cross country team. I didn't join because I had some life long love of running in the great outdoors. I grew up in the projects--we ran to get away from the dudes that tried to rob us outside the candy store. No, I joined for mcuh more simplistic reasons; to be be near a boy. He apparently had a love for running in the great outdoors, while I faked like I did too. I hated running. I mean I HATED running. Noone told me that that cross country runners ran 2 mile races. 2 MILES-in one race--without stopping. Not that it would matter if were 1 mile, or 1 block for that matter. I sucked at it. During my first meet, I got off to a hearty start and got winded about 3 minutes into the race. All I could see was dozens of runners whizzing by me as I struggled for breath. Realizing that that there was no way on earth that I could complete the race, I did what any self respecting, fake runner, trying to impress a boy girl would do--I threw my body to the ground, and pretended to faint. While a horrible runner, I proved to be quite the convincing actress. I lay there closing my eyes and holding myself together while runners jumped over my "lifeless" body. I didn't giggle when I heard a franctic runner screaming "Oh my God, she fainted!" Nor did I wince in pain when my coach slapped me across the face in an effort to revive me. No, I did everything I could not to finish running that race. It was my first, and last race as a member of the LPHS Cross Country team.

Fast forward 20 years, and you'd imagine that I'd still hate running with the same passion I hated it back then. At least in my younger days I had an athletic build, a great metabolism, and time to devote to exercise. Today, I'm still carrying baby weight from my 4 year old, I have 2 children, a husband, and an often stressful job. However, nothing has provided ne with the sweet comfort of a morning run. Don't ask me how it happened, or when I was seduced by the rhythm of my feet pounding on the pavement. I have no idea. One day when I was feeling particularly stressed, I laced up my shoes, grabbed my Ipod and hit the road. I was completely and utterly at peace for the 30 minutes I devoted to myself. Miraculously the girl couldn't run 2 miles has grown into a woman who shall attempt 26.2. This is my story........

6 comments:

  1. Now I know where Kai gets her dramatic skills. So excited for your journey and the day in October when the Welches get to cheer you on! Run Kimmy! Run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kim over a boy?!! Was he hot as least? Just kidding, you have just inspired me to start running again!! Keep it up and RUN LIKE A FOXX!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, Kim!! I'll be following and cheering you on from the sidelines...FAR on the side. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally relate. I have always hated running. Or I did until I committed to it, until I saw it as a time and space and challenge for me alone. I'm with you on this one, sister! I will be cheering you on...as much as I can while I am huffing and puffing myself!

    (And also - kickass job on this blog. Consider me a loyal reader already.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim,

    I loved this! Oh, the things we silly girls did to impress an even sillier boy! I'm glad you've found joy in running. Good luck with the training. I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Just back on FB after a loooong hiatus and read this --- I'm loving it!! Love your voice; love that you've taken on a great, narrow slice of your life; love that the pretend play-dead feint is the key memory we'll be coming back to. I can't wait to read more, and talk more about how the writing is actually GOING. You rock. See you all real soon. T

    ReplyDelete